NetBSD 6 beta test (was: Huawei E220 & NetBSD - no umodem)

On 03/13/12 17:47, Martin Husemann wrote:
>>    I have the umodem device enabled in my kernel config (I have been
>> using my SonyEricsson C702 as a modem on this particular laptop), and am
>> using NetBSD/amd64 5.1.
>
> You need the u3g device and a newer version of netbsd - it seems this
> never made it back to the netbsd-5 branch.
>
> It should just work in NetBSD 6_BETA.

   Although I've only got as far as booting a NetBSD 6 beta kernel and
plugging the Huawei in, I can confirm that it seems to work far better
than before; it appears to find the relevant devices. However, I have
some other reflections.

   Once I plug the Huawei device in, it takes up to 10 seconds for the
kernel to report that the device has been registered. I assume that the
problem is in the USB device itself, but I mention it in case anyone
knows it should behave differently.

   The kernel takes a pause (a few seconds) while initializing bge0:

bge0 at pci2 dev 0 function 0: Broadcom BCM5906M Fast Ethernet
bge0: interrupting at ioapic0 pin 17
bge0: adjust device control 0x1b2000 -> 0x1b5000
bge0: ASIC BCM5906 A2 (0xc002), Ethernet address 00:1b:38:54:99:c8
<here it pauses>
bge0: setting short Tx thresholds
bge0: eeprom read timed out

   I assume that the "eeprom read timed out" is relevant, but it makes
me curious to know what it's trying to do, considering I never saw that
message in 5.1.

   A behavior which I had with 5.1 is still in NetBSD 6 beta. I don't
know if it's an actual bug or a "You did read the instructions, didn't
you?". If I leave both:

options         PMS_SYNAPTICS_TOUCHPAD  # Enable support for Synaptics
Touchpads
options        PMS_ELANTECH_TOUCHPAD   # Enable support for Elantech
Touchpads

   .. enabled, then X takes a while to start up, and once it has loaded
my desktop, I can't use the mouse or keyboard (ctrl+alt+f[1-4] won't
work). If I comment out PMS_ELANTECH_TOUCHPAD they both work fine
though. (Though with the NetBSD 5.1 kernel, I could at least use the
keyboard, if I recall correctly).

--
Kind regards,
Jan Danielsson