powerd not running

I find that powerd is started automatically on my laptop but not on my
desktop - both running NetBSD 6.0_BETA.

Here are some observations I find relevant:

The desktop responds to power button press and shuts down quite abruptly
though it never went to file system checks on restart after this. On the
other hand shutting down with /sbin/shutdown is much slower (rather not as
abrupt).

The desktop hangs if power button is pressed and a psshfs system is
mounted. On the contrary, executing shutdown command manages to unmount
psshfs and shut down without getting hung.

powerd doesn't seem to be running and running /etc/rc.d/powerd start
doesn't appear to start it.

Changing script /etc/powerd/scripts/power_button does not have any impact
(obviously as powerd itself is not running I guess).

Why doesn't powerd start automatically and how to make it start?

Mayuresh.