Re: Serving FQDNs with dnsmasq

HI!

On Sat, Nov 26, 2011 at 7:32 PM, Julio Merino <jmmv%julipedia.org@localhost>
wrote:
> On 11/26/11 7:42 AM, Greg Troxel wrote:
>>
>> Thinking for only a minute, my reaction is that one is communicating a
>> "hostname" "domainname" tuple, then it's right for hostname to be just
>> one component, and we should be putting hostname.domainname as the
>> gethosthame(2) value.
>
> I had that thought too: if the value of the system hostname is supposed
> to be a fqdn, then dhclient should be concatenating the hostname and
> domainname options of the dhcp response to form the system hostname.
> But it doesn't.
>
> I'm wondering if this behavior of dhclient is expected and/or invalid
> for NetBSD?  A quick look at dhclient.conf doesn't seem to show anything
> relevant to change this behavior...

I do not quite understand your problems. but perhaps this may help:
Commands and output from this computer:
        pluto:dino {102} cat /etc/dhclient.conf
        pluto.home
        interface "re0" {
        send host-name "pluto";
        }
        pluto:dino {103} cat /etc/myname
        pluto.home

In NetBSD I only use internal mail, so I have let my router supply the
domain-name ("home")

Kind regards
HansS Dinsen-Hansen ("Dino")