Re (2): Authenticated Email (TLS?)

Paul,

On 6 Nov 2011, at 13:44, Paul Goyette wrote:
> I'd like to enable authentication on my NetBSD mail server
so I can send mail from the account using my smart phone.

From:   Matthias Scheler <tron%zhadum.org.uk@localhost>
Date:   Sun, 06 Nov 2011 14:39:15 +0000
> That would be SMTP authentication, not TLS (Transport Layer Security).
I would however recommend to configure both because it will make sure
that nobody can eavesdrop on your e-mail if you use a mobile network
or a public WiFi.

An encrypted tunnel is also possible.  That can work for telnet, ftp
and other communications as well as SMTP.  Static key encryption will
work for a tunnel and is simpler than TLS.  Assuming you have a few
mobile devices, each can open its dedicated tunnel when appropriate.
With any luck, your phone will support a tunnel.

Regards,                ... Peter E.

--
New telephone 1 360 639 0202.  Old telephone 1 360 450 2132.  bcc: peasthope at
shaw.ca