Re: NetBSD - lighttpd - PHP - MySQL - Mediawiki

At Thu, 8 Sep 2011 17:49:01 -0700, Andy Ruhl <acruhl%gmail.com@localhost> wrote:
Subject: Re: NetBSD - lighttpd - PHP - MySQL - Mediawiki

> The last lighttpd release was July 3rd. I assume they haven't had more
> releases because they haven't needed to.
>
> For a small server it works perfectly. No need to keep fixing it if
> it's not broken.

FYI, I deleted lighttpd as soon as I could.  (well it's still running on
a machine at home on my LAN, with no public IP address, and a firewall
too, but it's definitely not "in production"!)

The last time I was using it, over a year ago now I guess, was with
1.4.20, and it was terribly buggy, and in some scary ways.  Development
efforts appeared to be pushing into the complexity and features instead
of reliability and quality.  The code didn't exactly inspire confidence
either.

In particular their claim for security at that time was false.

I tried it out initially as it seemed to be the best alternative to
sticking to ancient Apache for a site with multiple virtual domains,
some running Mailman.

I don't need it at the moment, but I'd love to see a "config" for
bozohttpd that offered virtual hosting, with some hosing virtual
Mailman, and with SSL for everything.

bozohttpd-20100920 isn't making me very confident either with extremely
frequent core dumps on my one production web server....  I should debug
that, esp. given I see that's still the current release....

I should probably look at nginx and yaws too.

--
                                                Greg A. Woods
                                                Planix, Inc.

<woods%planix.com@localhost>       +1 250 762-7675        http://www.planix.com/