Re: Competition (was: Ports & Packages ...)

At Wed, 24 Aug 2011 23:10:43 +0200, Jimmy Johansson
<jimmy%Update.UU.SE@localhost> wrote:
Subject: Re: Competition (was: Ports & Packages ...)

> Isn't this one of the problems in most communities where the members do
> things in their free time? I mean, I believe that most of the code added
> to the Linux kernel now a days is added by paid programmers during work
> time. Ubuntu uses the work done by the Debian project and then add
> advocacy, some own code and documentation done by paid staff and also
> stuff from the community for sure. It is kind of hard for a project like
> NetBSD to compete with that, most of the people that write code for fun
> after work on their own time wants to do what they find fun, and I can't
> question that, their time so they do what they want. And this isn't
> likely to change, unless somebody joins who just think that advocacy it
> the best thing ever.

Obviously NetBSD can't compete with Ubuntu, but couldn't NetBSD just as
easily be their foundation instead of Debian?

The thing that seems (from 40,000 feet and 180 degrees around the globe)
to drive Ubuntu is a whole lot of money and a whole lot of passion about
GNU/Linux.

If someone had both of those and were to apply them to NetBSD then I
think something could be built using NetBSD to "compete" with Ubuntu.

--
                                                Greg A. Woods
                                                Planix, Inc.

<woods%planix.com@localhost>       +1 250 762-7675        http://www.planix.com/