Re: Competition

On 8/25/11 6:18 AM, Daniel Carrera wrote:
> As the newbie here, I'd like to chip in a little.
>

> On 08/25/2011 08:52 AM, Aleksej Saushev wrote:
>>> As it stands today it feels like NetBSD is geared more toward the
>>> experienced Unix user. Installing NetBSD for the first time can be kind
>>> of daunting and documentation can be hard to get at. The amount of
>>> advocacy doesn't matter if a possible user decides to try NetBSD and
>>> then gives up because he can't install it.
>>
>> I don't remember such having impression. The ability to read
>> documentation
>> is essential in IT, you can't work around it. The reason you don't hear
>> of installation problems with MS Windows or MacOS is not because they
>> are trivial to install, it is because they come pre-installed.
>

> I did not think NetBSD was harder to install than FreeBSD or OpenBSD.
> It's nice that FreeBSD and OpenBSD setup networking during the install,
> but all in all I still found NetBSD a bit easier than the others.

Just FYI: the NetBSD installer will set up networking in the newly
installed system IFF you configure networking during installation.  You
can do this indirectly by doing a network-based install, or by
explicitly setting up networking through submenu of the main menu
(although I can't recall its name).

--
Julio Merino / @jmmv