Re: About NetBSD and Xen (Was: Stability of -current for a Xen Dom0 machine)

Hi,
> but this should depend from the drivers the OS provides for power saving
> mechanism - not xen byself. On high load servers power saving is not a main
> question - so this might be OK for such situations.

Agree. Just after that message, I noticed that no power management procedure
was used in NetBSD by my test machine, even when out of XEN. After some short
research, I found a thread [1] describing a similar problem and suggesting to
compile  a kernel just with acpicpu.  I'm now compiling -current with
acpicpu(4) enabled and will test it. I'm sure it will do the trick.
More, I've also found another [2] thread and it seems that cpufreq=dom0-kernel
could work, even if I don't think it's been tested (or at least I could not
find proper information) with acpicpu.
Will test it and report back. If it will work, it will have solved my main
problem.

> Anyhow - it would be really nice to see xen 4 in netBSD ;)

Agree. But I will be satisfied with a decent power management under 3.3.x :)

[1] http://gnats.netbsd.org/44492
[2] http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-xen/2009/08/02/msg005213.html

Stefano