Re: About NetBSD and Xen (Was: Stability of -current for a Xen Dom0 machine)

Am Mittwoch 09 März 2011, 19:44:03 schrieben Sie:
> cpus), but I think the difference will be quite huge. On the notebook,
> this causes fans to be on at all the time. NetBSD without Xen has the same
> power drain. Debian without Xen has the same power drain of NetBSD UNLESS
> i load the powernow-k8 driver. At that point, it goes down to 45W, too.
Ok,
but this should depend from the drivers the OS provides for power saving
mechanism - not xen byself. On high load servers power saving is not a main
question - so this might be OK for such situations.

In Xen 3.4(2/3) are several newer technologies which are build for the xen 4
 system / release (regarding subsystems performance, flexibility and others).
I assume that the step from 3.(2/3) to 3.4 in NetBSD would be larger then in
other xen minors before.

Many management tools still relying on 3.x as with 4.0 and especially 4.1 the
config syntax was changed in several parts and not backward compatible (some
see that as features, others not...).

Anyhow - it would be really nice to see xen 4 in netBSD ;)

best regards,

Niels.
--

---

  Niels Dettenbach
  ---
  Syndicat IT&Internet
  http://www.syndicat.com
  T.-Muentzer.-Str. 2, 37308 Heilbad Heiligenstadt - DE
  ---
  Kryptoinfo:
  PGP public key ID 651CA20D
  Fingerprint: 55E0 4DCD B04C 4A49 1586  88AE 54DC 4465 651C A20D
  https://syndicat.com/pub_key.asc
  ---