Re: How can I configure my OpenOffice and Xserver to speak the same language?

On Sat, 05 Feb 2011 19:08 +0100, "hans dinsen-hansen"
<hansdinsenhansen%gmail.com@localhost> wrote:
> I am running NetBSD 5.1 (GENERIC) (amd64) and I have built packages
> with sources from 2010Q4.
>
> I have problems with OpenOffice3.  I try to start it with:
>     pluto:dino {101} soffice
>     I18N: Operating system doesn't support locale "en_US"

This might indicate a local configuration problem.  There is inded no
en_US
locale in /usr/share/locale, only en_US.ISO8859-1, en_US.ISO8859-15,
en_US.US-ASCII and en_US.UTF-8 according to the charset you want to use.
Can you report the output of runing
$ locale
in the terminal from which you launched openoffice?

> OpenOffice starts, however,  and it lets me select the text part.
>
> The Xserver gives the following error message:
>     The XKEYBOARD keymap compiler (xkbcomp) reports:
>     > Warning:          Duplicate shape name ""
>     >                   Using last definition
> The last two lines are repeated some 20 times, before the Xserver
> says:
>     Errors from xkbcomp are not fatal to the X server
>
> In OpenOffice, I can type all letters on my Danish keyboard
> (inclusive the three special Danish/Norwegian letters).  But several
> of the special characters (like ~ ` ') do not function.  I cannot
> even construct the Western European letters with those and other
> diacriticals.
>
> I can type those characters in an Xterminal with e.g. ~<space>, and
> construct Western European (ISO 8859-1) letters with  diacriticals
> like e.g.  Spanish Ã.  Afterwards I can copy-paste them into my
> OpenOffice document.

It sounds from your description of the problem like dead keys don't work
for you in OpenOffice.  Can you confirm that this accurately describes
the symptoms you're seeing?  I've something similar in emacs but haven't
yet tracked it down.

> My "xorg.conf" contains the keyboard definitions:
>     Section "InputDevice"
>             Identifier  "Keyboard0"
>             Driver      "kbd"
>             Option "XkbRules"       "xorg"
>             Option "XkbModel"       "pc105"
>             Option "XkbLayout"      "dk"
>     EndSection
>
> I have forested through several {M,m}akefiles and *mk* files and man
> pages.  Can anybody please give me a handle where to do what.

I'd suggest trying to fix the locale issues first because they're likely
to be easy; if the trouble with dead keys persists after that, hopefully
someone with more knowledge of xkb can chime in.

Good luck!

Ian Leroux