Re: Upgrading NetBSD in-place in a clean way

On 12 January 2011 23:43, Greg Troxel <gdt%ir.bbn.com@localhost> wrote:

>  Ok, let's suppose I want to upgrade a NetBSD machine without rebooting
>  with sysinst and without having the possibility to use the build.sh
>  script with the sources.
>
> see pkgsrc/sysutils/etcmanage and read/study all the scripts.

I've been using these since they became available with no problems at
all. Mind you, on -current one has to add the modules set to the list
before base - otherwize 'INSTALL-NetBSD install' will miss them...

In this case -

  - download the iso
  - vnconfig -c vnd0 xxxx.iso
  - mount -o ro -t cd9660 /dev/vnd0d /mnt/cdrom
  - cd /mnt/cdrom && INSTALL-NetBSD install

(Usually I build the iso files myself.)

> It's my solution  to your problem.

Thanks for that - the downside been that one doesn't need to bother
understanding the build system any more - all I do for the building is

 # cd /usr
 # ( cd ./src && cvs up -dPA && make cleandir ) ; ( cd ./xsrc && cvs
up -dPA && make cleandir ) ; BUILD-NetBSD -x all 2>&1 | tee /some/log

(you need to have /.BUILD-NetBSD.kernel file with the name of your
default kernel, in my case just GENERIC).

Chavdar Ivanov
--
----