Re: exFAT as the new "portable" filesystem?

On Wed, Dec 8, 2010 at 3:09 PM, Gary Thorpe <gathorpe79%yahoo.com@localhost>
wrote:

> What about UDF (the file system for rewritable optical media)? Is it possible
> to put UDF on other media without problems?
> Its open, available across multiple platforms, but I am sure there is some
> catch: any comments? Seems like it would work just to exchange data and you
> are not concerned about e.g., UNIX permissions (since FAT32 and I assume
> exFAT also does not have this).
>
> From this table, it seems suitable for NetBSD (NetBSD seems to haver very
> good support for features):
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Disk_Format#Table_of_operating_systems

Yes, you can put UDF on a read/write magnetic disk. However, in
practice, it's not easy to do this for whatever reason. If it was
easy, UDF would be the answer to this problem I think.

Andy