Re: exFAT as the new "portable" filesystem?

On Sat, 20 Nov 2010, Thomas Mueller wrote:

> I checked the Wikipedia link; remember reading about this new FAT
> version a few months ago.
>
> Disadvantage is that it is closed-source proprietary Microsoft, open to
> MS saber-rattling about patent infringement.

Not saber-rattling, you *will* need a licence to ship devices (or, in the
US, code) that supports exFAT:

http://www.microsoft.com/about/legal/en/us/IntellectualProperty/IPLicensing/Programs/exFATFileSystem.aspx

exfat is going to be a very real problem for open source operating
systems...

I've used ext2fs to move files between os's see this:

http://pointless.net/blog/2009/09/22/maximally-compatible-ext2fs/

But i don't know the state of the ext2 drivers for OS X and windows on the
latest versions of OS X and windows, iirc it dosn't work anymore :(

--
[http://pointless.net/]                                   [0x2ECA0975]