Re: which serial-to-usb devices do you use?

On Tue, Dec 07, 2010 at 04:20:37AM +0000, Jonathan A. Kollasch wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 06, 2010 at 06:59:04PM -0800, Michael Litchard wrote:
> > Curious what the community prefers to use for a serial-to-usb device.
>
> To start off with, I don't like any of the commonly available commercial
> solutions.  They all lack public programming docs.  And these things are
> trivial pieces of hardware.

ACK!

> To the average user, I'd recommend uplcom(4).  They are easy to get a
> hold of and have (for the most part) just worked for quite a while.
>
> I've also had good experience with uftdi(4), but I have 10 times as
> many uplcoms.

I agree with both points too (same here, lots of uplcom, some uftdi, all
working).

For the easy recommendation: try to get the cheapest possible, most likely
it will be a uplcom and work. If possible, arrange for a chance to return,
if you should happen to run into a uark.

For most pieces it will be impossible to know the chipset variant
before unpacking and pluging into your NetBSD machine.

If the connector is not recognized at all, post usbdevs output, maybe it
can be just added to the proper table and trivialy made to work.

Martin