Re: Understanding pf with FTP on IPv6

On Sat, 20 Nov 2010 10:11 +0100, "Philip Dodd" <philip.dodd%free.fr@localhost>
wrote:
>  On Mon, 25 Oct 2010 21:43:05 +0200, Philip Dodd
>  <philip.dodd%free.fr@localhost> wrote:
> > Basically my pf.conf contains a "block in all" at the start and a
> > bunch of rules that allow some stuff to connect on regular ports
> > inbound.
> >
> > FTP client (outbound) from this host works fine over IPv4 but will
> > fail over IPv6 unless I comment out this line.
>
>  I'm sure I'm missing something dumb, but I really can't figure
>  out what.

I use neither IPv6 nor pf, but if it's something dumb we're after then I
can ask some dumb questions:
- Is FTP running in passive mode or active mode?
- Is it running in the same mode in both IPv4 and IPv6?
- Do any of the rules that allow inbound traffic happen to allow in FTP-
  related traffic?  If you remove them does FTP over IPv4 still work?
- What ports does FTP over IPv6 use?

Good Luck!

Ian Leroux