Re: 5.1 release?

from my previous message:

> I have only 8 GB disk space for NetBSD 5.1 RC3, rest of hard drive is
> shared between Linux (Slackware 13.0, 19 GB) and FreeBSD 8.1 (12 GB).
> I see where I need a bigger hard drive as well as more RAM and faster
> multicore AMD64 CPU.

from Greg Trexel:

> agreed; that will make playing with this more fun.  even if you had a
> single 500 GB drive and a single 2+ GHz processor from the last 5 years
and 1G of ram, you'd probably have enough not to be seriously annoyed.

My present computer dates to July 2001: AMD Athlon CPU at 1400 MHz, 40 GB
hard drive, 256 MB RAM, CD-RW but no DVD.  Now DVD is a crying need, both for
reading and burning.  I built XFCE on FreeBSD 8.0 but am deathly afraid to
attempt to build KDE or GNOME.

Actually I have an older computer, Cx486DX-2 at 66 MHz, Texel, now Plextor
CD-ROM (2x) on Trantor T130B SCSI which also accommodates Iomega Zip 250.
Hard drive controller seems to no longer work, 3.5" 1.44 MB floppy drive
works much of the time on 720 KB diskettes but no longer on 1.44 MB;
5.25" 1.2 MB floppy drive works most of the time on both 360 KB and 1.2 MB
diskettes.  I managed to get FreeDOS to install and boot from the Zip 250,
might try to install NetBSD 4.0.1 but will not have space for a full install,
might get a minimally productive system at best.  When I get that new computer,
this old computer will go to the cyber waste recycling center!

Tom