Re: 5.1 release?

> On Fri, Sep 03, 2010 at 10:57:00AM +0000, Thomas Mueller wrote:
> > But can I be sure this would update my source trees, /usr/src and
> > /usr/xsrc, now at NetBSD 5.1 RC3 to RC4, after RC4 is released, or to 5.1
> > RELEASE, when that is released?  As far as I know, -current is a separate
> > branch, work in progress on what will be NetBSD 6.0.  I think there is also
> > still a 5.0 branch which would be patches to 5.0.2?

> the '-r netbsd-5' flag tell CVS to upgrade files to the netbsd-5 branch.
> This is currenlty 5.1_RC3, will be 5.1_RC4. Once 5.1 is released this
> branch will switch to 5.1_STABLE (what may becode 5.2). If you want the
> 5.1 sources, you'll have to use the netbsd-5-1-RELEASE tag instead.
> If you want to track what will become 5.1.1 you'll use netbsd-5-1

> --
> Manuel Bouyer <bouyer%antioche.eu.org@localhost>

So '-r netbsd-5' would upgrade the source to 5.1_RC4 when that is ready, but
when 5.1 is released, I should use '-r netbsd-5-1-RELEASE'?

I guess the best way to update the base system is to download the iso, burn to
CD, boot from that CD, and choose Update, as I've been doing?

I've never used cvs or svn before, guess it's time to learn, will need cvs to
update pkgsrc.

Remembering the system crash when I was editing a text file with vi, I believe
it was the kernel configuration file, I guess 5.1_RC3 had some instabilities,
which would explain why there is such a long time interval waiting for 5.1_RC4.

Tom