Re: How to guess Xorg available version ?

On Tue, Aug 24, 2010 at 2:05 PM, Joel Carnat <joel%carnat.net@localhost> wrote:

> Le 24 août 2010 à 19:55, matthew sporleder a écrit :
>
>> On Tue, Aug 24, 2010 at 10:30 AM, Joel Carnat <joel%carnat.net@localhost>
>> wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I've ran NetBSD 5.99.x and OpenBSD 4.8 on my Dell Inspiron Mini 10 (Atom
>>> 450 and GMA 3150 / PineTrail) and had video displaying issues.
>>> Shortly, OpenBSD works in native X resolution 1366x768 with
>>> xf86-video-intel but NetBSD "only" works in VESA mode (1024x768).
>>>
>>> OpenBSD/Xenocara provides support for the video card. According to their
>>> ChangeLog page, it runs xorg-server 1.8.
>>>  From what I read from NetBSD x-sources, it provides the 1.6.5 version.
>>>
>>> Are the following links the correct ones to learn about xorg-server and
>>> drivers versions ?
>>>
>>> http://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-current/xsrc/external/mit/xorg-server/dist/ChangeLog
>>> http://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-current/xsrc/external/mit/xf86-video-intel/dist/NEWS
>>>
>>> Or are there "better" ChangeLog files to look at ?
>>
>> Try using xorg from pkgsrc instead of the base system.
>
> well... according to www.pkgsrc.se, pkgsrc also provides 1.6.5nb7.

According to www.x.org, the current version is 1.7.1 (X11R7.5).

OpenBSD claims xenocera is based on either X11R7.4 (xorg server 1.5 -
http://xenocara.org/) or X11R7.5 (xorg server 1.7), or even xorg
server 1.9 (README on openbsd cvsweb) depending on where you look.

X11R7.6 (xorg server 1.8 is mentioned in a lot of commit messages)   I
do see that openbsd cvs is talking about 1.8, though, so maybe they
jumped ahead.

Sorry, I thought pkgsrc was ahead of base.  Good luck, though.  :)

Ironically, the main problem is more likely that xf86-video-intel 2.9
has more support for your card than xf86-video-intel 2.7.  You may
even want to try manually updating x11/xf86-video-intel to a newer
version.