"Migrating" 32bit to 64bit netbsd

Dear all,

this might sounds a little curious (so don't hit me...) but my target is to
migrate several NetBSD xen guests (i386 - 32bit PAE) to 64bit in the next.

My problem is that my xen host is linux and so i have no write access to the
guests filesystem (so i tend to use a small "workbench" 64bit netbsd VM for
that).

Did someone have any good and proven practice here to recommend?

My current idea is to just:

 1.) make a copy of the VMs disks / "partitions"
 2.) mount it somewhere into a running 64bit NetBSD system
 3.) write the new (64bit) sets over the old userland on that mounts (incl.
copying my new kernel)
 4.) chroot to the mountpoint of the root fs
 5.) make all installed software  from pkgsrc into 64bit
 6.) unmount / xen hangout
 7.) start the VM with a 64bit kernel

Another option could be to start the VM after 3.) and build the pkgsrc stuff
within the 64bit migrated VM.

Any hint or idea is welcome.

Best regards and
Cheers,

Niels.
--

---

  Niels Dettenbach
  ---
  Syndicat IT&Internet
  http://www.syndicat.com
  T.-Muentzer.-Str. 2, 37308 Heilbad Heiligenstadt - DE
  ---
  Kryptoinfo:
  PGP public key ID 651CA20D
  Fingerprint: 55E0 4DCD B04C 4A49 1586  88AE 54DC 4465 651C A20D
  https://syndicat.com/pub_key.asc
  ---