Re: using cross tools for other programs

At Mon, 10 May 2010 12:53:29 -0400, Greg Troxel <gdt%ir.bbn.com@localhost>
wrote:
Subject: using cross tools for other programs

> I'm very used to building netbsd with build.sh.  I would also like to
> use the cross tools built by netbsd to build other programs for a target
> netbsd system.

I find the very best way to do that is to just drop the sources for such
additional programs right into the local source tree, and, if necessary,
write some BSD Makefiles for them.  Then everything gets built together,
and this is critical for building tiny embedded systems with crunchgen.

Or similarly to the way some 3rd-party sources in the tree are already
managed, just use reach-over builds (i.e. write some reach-over
Makefiles that build your additional programs directly from working
directories kept parallel to your OS source tree).  This will also work
fine with crunchgen.

As for managing the sources sensibly, well if your local source tree is
managed with something more capable than CVS then it's often possible to
use this VCS to pull in the new sources from separate modules.  Eg. I'm
beginning to use Git with it's reasonably decent sub-module support.
Each additional program is managed in its own Git repository, and the
master OS source tree includes sub-modules that refer to centrally
hosted release branches for each of these independent repositories.
Unfortunately Git's sub-module support is sub-tree only -- i.e. you can
only pull in files under one sub-directory; you cannot overlay new files
and new directories at multiple locations in the source tree with only
one sub-module.  This can make it more difficult to use sub-modules for
more invasive imports.

--
                                                Greg A. Woods
                                                Planix, Inc.