using cross tools for other programs

I'm very used to building netbsd with build.sh.  I would also like to
use the cross tools built by netbsd to build other programs for a target
netbsd system.

Normally ld knows to link in libc and crt0, etc.  The cross tools don't
seem to:

$ /usr/obj/gdt-5/tools/i386--netbsdelf/bin/gcc test.c
/usr/obj/gdt-5/tools/lib/gcc/i386--netbsdelf/4.1.3/../../../../i386--netbsdelf/bin/ld:
 crt0.o: No such file: No such file or directory
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

So, it seems that I have to pass flags to the linker to find a bunch of
things, and perhaps to tell cc and ld not to look in the host system.
In mk/bsd.prog.mk, it appears that all of those arguments are
constructed into the link target.  I'm sure I can replicate all of that,
but it would seem easier to have wrapper scripts that act like the
native commands, but grab from the destdir.  In my case I am
crossbuilding to the netbsd target I just built netbsd for, so having
the destdir baked in is fine.

Has anyone else struggled with this?  Am I on the right track, or confused?