Re: NetBSD 5.0.2

On 10 May 2010 at 19:02, Michael Shestero wrote:

> Trying to configure NetBSD 5.0.2 on Asus EEE 901. Installed from ISO with
> standart options (I have external USB DVD).
> 1. What should I do to enable network ethernet interface? (first of all
> wired).
> 2. Does anywhere present a preinstalled SDD image of the system? Compiled
> kernel for this netbook? Or just configuration file?
> 3. Is there any user-friendly tool to edit /etc/rc.conf
> 3. (dummy question) where to obtain kernel source exact for 5.0.2 ?
> Michael

1. I'm not sure interface is same as on eeepc 900.
dmesg | grep -i ethernet shows it as lii0 so added
couple of lines to /etc/rc.conf:
dhclient=YES
dhclient_flags="lii0"

and single line to /etc/ifconfig.lii0:
up

Above causes a long delay at startup if not connected
to lan so ctrl+c to skip. I'm sure there's a better way.

If you want a particular fixed address you don't need
to change rc.conf and can either set ip
in /etc/ifconfig.lii0:
inet 192.168.1.2 netmask 255.255.255.0

or just issue command "ifconfig lii0 192.168.1.2"

2. no idea, I think yo mean SSD rather than SDD?

3. you have ed and vi to choose from unless you
add some extra package. Probably neither would
be regarded as newbie friendly. I've accumulated
this lot but mainly use vi.

unix2dos            Translate ASCII files to/from DOS (cr/lf) and
UNIX (lf)
joe-3.5             Joe's own editor
gedit-2.28.2        Lightweight GNOME2 text editor
beav-1.40.18        Binary Editor And Viewer, a full featured binary
file editor
jed-0.99.16nb2      Extensible folding editor with Emacs/WordStar/EDT
emulations
mined-2000.15       Html-aware editor
nano-2.0.8          Small and friendly text editor (a free
replacement for Pico)
easyedit-1.4.6      Easy to use text editor

You can download binary packages and install using
pkg_add, point pkg_add to url of wanted package or
add PKG_PATH to your environment. Best to read the
NetBSD documentation first.

3=4. I'm using stock 5.0.1 GENERIC kernel.

David