Re: strange X11/intel problem with 5.0_STABLE and mplayer

Dennis, thank you for your suggestions.

>You need to compile a kernel with
>
>i915drm*       at vga?
>
>added to its configuration file.

Hmm. I checked out the latest source from cvs, and spent the night building.
For now, I have just dropped the drm-enabled kernel into the installed system,
but that should be OK, right?

I made a new xorg.conf which I used as is (Xorg -configure ; cp xorg.conf.new
/etc/X11/xorg.conf)

Good news is that mplayer now can cycle between fullscreen and window - a few
times, using -vo sdl, before it hangs X and ends up stuck with a black screen.

-vo xv still gives a BadAccess error, crashing mplayer. However, there is no
error logged in Xorg.0.log.

All the bad stuff I now find in Xorg.0.log is:

$ grep '(EE)' /var/log/Xorg.0.log
$ grep '(WW)' /var/log/Xorg.0.log
(WW) intel(0): libpciaccess reported 0 rom size, guessing 64kB
(WW) intel(0): remove MTRR a0000 - b0000
(WW) intel(0): remove MTRR a0000 - b0000
(WW) intel(0): Register 0x61114 (PORT_HOTPLUG_STAT) changed from 0x00000000 to
0x00000b00
(WW) intel(0): DRI2 requires UXA
(WW) intel(0): remove MTRR a0000 - b0000
(WW) intel(0): drmDropMaster failed: Unknown error: 4294967295

That's it - no errors shown by dmesg or elsewhere I can find. Not even the
BadAccess errors from when I first tried mplayer -vo xv have left a mark.

The warning above (Unknown error) does puzzle me, though.

>On a ThinkPad R50e, I found I need either Xorg provided with NetBSD
>5, or libdrm 2.4.20 (which is the current version) when using
>modular Xorg from pkgsrc.

For now, I am focusing on the other machine (leaving my laptop in a mostly
usable state - I haven't got any time for watching movies anyway, when I have
to find a solution to this.)

But I am not sure I fully understood your suggestion. I am using Xorg as it is
build from the xsrc directory, not from pkgsrc. I never really grasped the
idea nor the implications of having this choice, so I prefer to just stick to
xsrc, admittedly out of ignorance. Are you saying I should use Xorg as from xsrc
from NetBSD 5.0; use xsrc as it is from -rnetbsd-5 (which is what I am using);
and alternatively use Xorg and libdrm from pkgsrc? Or did you mean some other
combination?

/Lasse