Re: No way to change audio volume with azalia(4)

On Wed, Mar 17, 2010 at 02:53:56PM +0200, Jukka Marin wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 17, 2010 at 12:44:04PM +0000, Stephen Borrill wrote:
> > But that's the way it is on all OSes AFAICS. inputs.dac is the
> > computer audio into the mixing system (input gain if you will).
> > Similarly for CD and line in. outputs.master is the actual output
> > volume control. hdaudio will try to spoof up a link between
> > inputs.dac and outputs.master is one does not exist (actually only
> > one way round in the current version).
>
> Is it possible to control the volume of digital audio output (SP/DIF)
> when playing digital audio files?

this is dependent on the codec.  I don't believe any of the common ac97
varieties apply mixer volume controls to S/PDIF output(s).

some applications have the ability to apply volume control by
appropriately scaling the output (madplay for instance does this).

--
  Aaron J. Grier | "Not your ordinary poofy goof." |
agrier%poofygoof.com@localhost