Abysmal transfer rate with fuse-ntfs-3g

I have a SCSI disk with NTFS filesystem and I need to read/write
support, so that I can copy and delete files on it.

I've installed fuse-ntfs-3g from pkgsrc, and I can successfully mount
and copy files to disk. However, I'm seeing average transfer rate of
550K/sec, which is pretty low for a disk which can handle 40M/sec.

Any ideas why it's so slow? Is it a problem with fuse-ntfs-3g, or the
way NetBSD handles filesystem I/O in user space?