troubleshooting X

I'm looking for a good guide to troubleshooting X problems.  Anybody know of
one?

Background: I had a nicely working setup I'd planned for my kids to use. Then I
had need for a Windows system, and that was the only box available to retask.
Now I've set it up with NetBSD again, but X is not working right this time.
All the characters in gdm are empty squares, and the pointer (I've tried two
mice) is frozen.  Other than making Xorg suid so it could log, I don't remember
doing anything unusual last time to get it to work.

NetBSD 5.0.1 on i386, pretty much a full install, minimal customization so far.

Thanks,
Tim

--
Tim Larson
App Admin, Intercall Production Services