Re: wpa_supplicant and dhcp

On Saturday 23 January 2010 13:42:27 Steven Bellovin wrote:
> On Jan 23, 2010, at 6:49 AM, Sad Clouds wrote:
> > What is the recommended way to run wpa_supplicant with dhcp?
> >
> > I have a laptop, which needs to connect to a wireless home network. The
> > problem I'm having is that dhcp client runs before wpa_supplicant, so it
> > can't acquire a proper IP address. There is a thread about it on
> > current-users list, but I can't see anything that resolves the issue...
>
> Are you sure about that order?  When I look at /etc/rc.d/wpa_supplicant, it
>  says
>
>       # PROVIDE: wpa_supplicant
>       # REQUIRE: network mountcritlocal
>       # BEFORE: NETWORKING dhclient
>
> What does your machine say?
>
>               --Steve Bellovin, http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~smb

It's difficult to see what happens on the screen, the messages scroll up very
fast and there is not much in /var/log. So maybe dhclient runs before
wpa_supplicant.

If I have a file which sets a static interface IP address:

/etc/ifconfig.iwn0

then everything works fine, even with dhclient

If I remove /etc/ifconfig.iwn0, then on boot up I get many messages of the
form:

iwn0: could not lock memory

and dhclient gives errors and no IP address is set on the interface

I thought there was no need for ifconfig* with dhcp?