Thinking further, it might be nice to have an option to pkg_chk to mark
installed packages as out of date for pkg_rolling_replace to field - what do
people think?

On 13 Jan 2010 10:50, "Robert Elz" <kre%munnari.oz.au@localhost> wrote:

   Date:        Tue, 12 Jan 2010 15:08:50 -0800
   From:        Stripes the Tiger Cub <bengaltigerstripes%gmail.com@localhost>

| Do you download the latest pkgsrc weekly, or what do you do?
I do a cvs update on my pkgsrc (usually) 3 times a day, then
lintpkgsrc -p to check which of my precompiled binary packages
are out of date - those I move out of the way then rebuild (after
a dependency check and tsort so things get built in a sane order).

That means I keep binary packages of everything I want, up to date,
almost all the time - I only actually install that stuff into /usr/pkg
when there's a good reason for doing so (I use pkg_comp to build the
packages, so that all happens in an isolated sandbox).  That is, just
because there's a newer something doesn't mean that I necessarily want
to run it.   But when I decide that I do, I should have a locally compiled
binary package (for it, all its dependencies, and anything else that ends
up being removed as collateral damage of the upgrade) available ready to
install so the update is easy (assuming the new versions actually work).
If they don't, I still have all the older binary packages available so
that I can put it all back again.

kre