Re: Wedges and installing on a MacBook Pro

On Nov 18, 2009, at 7:41 AM, Chris Wareham wrote:
I'm trying to install NetBSD (5.0 STABLE) onto a MacBook Pro, by
following the instructions found here:

http://wiki.netbsd.se/How_to_install_NetBSD_on_an_Apple_Macbook_w/core2duo

I installed Mac OS X first, leaving half the 320GB disk unused. I then
installed the rEFIt bootloader, as recommended in the Wiki
instructions. I've successfully booted a CD burnt with an ISO image for amd64 from the daily build snapshots, and setup the required wedges for
a root and swap partition. I'm getting stuck at the fdisk stage, as it
cannot see any partitions.

The Wiki instructions seem to imply that the necessary DK_ options are
present in the INSTALL and GENERIC kernels, but I'm wondering if that's
the case. Before I kick off a build and potentially waste another CDR,
I'd just like to check that I'm not doing something wrong, or whether
the Wiki instructions are just out of date.

'dmesg' will tell you whether any wedges were found... If you've edited the gpt partitions, then you need to either reboot to get the kernel to find the wedges or add them manually. I had little luck getting that to work and found that a reboot is prudent before trying to fdisk... You've probably already done that however in which case I don't have any additional insight to offer...

I've modified that page extensively while in the process of installing 5.0 on my Mac-Mini which I did several times so the information should be relatively current.

If you don't see something that looks like this in your dmesg, then you need to step back:

dk0 at wd0: EFI System Partition
dk0: 409600 blocks at 40, type: msdos
dk1 at wd0: OSX
dk1: 16708096 blocks at 409640, type: hfs
dk2 at wd0: NetBSD-root
dk2: 129183719 blocks at 17117736, type: ffs
dk3 at wd0: NetBSD-swap
dk3: 10000000 blocks at 146301455, type: swap

The kernel I'm running is:

NetBSD foo 5.0.1 NetBSD 5.0.1 (GENERIC) #0: Thu Jul 30 01:39:11 UTC 2009 builds%b8.netbsd.org@localhost:/home/builds/ab/netbsd-5-0-1-RELEASE/ i386/200907292356Z-obj/home/builds/ab/netbsd-5-0-1-RELEASE/src/sys/ arch/i386/compile/GENERIC i386