Re: [newbie] replacing applications in the Base set?

On Tue, Aug 18, 2009 at 01:58:14PM -0400, Thor Lancelot Simon wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 18, 2009 at 01:53:13PM -0400, Martin S. Weber wrote:
> > On Tue, Aug 18, 2009 at 01:31:30PM -0400, Thor Lancelot Simon wrote:
> > >
> > > You don't, unless you replace the base set itself.  NetBSD is not a
> > > kernel, NetBSD is a complete operating system.
> >
> > Well, that's a bit short-sighted, isn't it?
>
> I don't personally think so, but if you want a particular kernel
> and a random collection of userspace binaries, Gentoo
> Linux is -------->that way.

Hey, no need to insult me.

> I consider the fact that NetBSD version X
> always comes with known versions of userspace binaries Y and Z to be
> a very valuable feature; if you want to also install some other versions
> of Y and Z, of course, you can always get them from pkgsrc and install
> them in /usr/pkg.

I think you didn't read whole of my message. I was only referring to
"replacing" programs by installing alternatives from pkgsrc into
localbase and have the base system use those in preference over the
installed versions in base. Actually if you look at the sum of replies,
that's what all replies were like. "Change permissions so the usr/pkg
ones are picked up". "Use pkg_alternatives". "Delete the syspkg of
pkgsrc-replaced software" etc.

Regards,

-Martin