Re: [newbie] replacing applications in the Base set?

On Tue, Aug 18, 2009 at 01:31:30PM -0400, Thor Lancelot Simon wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 17, 2009 at 06:12:43PM +0200, Shadi Abou-Zahra wrote:
> > Hi folks,
> >
> > Apologies for the newbie question, I was not able to find help online or
> > in the mailing list archives.
> >
> > Short:
> > - How does one replace applications pre-installed in the Base set?
>
> You don't, unless you replace the base set itself.  NetBSD is not a
> kernel, NetBSD is a complete operating system.

Well, that's a bit short-sighted, isn't it? I remember the discussion
about building openssl better optimized or not, but that would
require perl being available at the build-time of the base set,
which is something that netbsd does not require. So you end up with
a non-optimized openssl in base, and, at times, you want to "replace"
it, even though that only means dropping in something via pkgsrc,
but then also convince the system of using the pkgsrc variant
instead of the base variant. Is this system then no longer NetBSD,
because you just drilled a hole into that "complete operating
system"??

I don't think so. If we follow these line of thoughts, how about
disallowing installation of any package from pkgsrc that offers
the same functionality (think gsed) and/or is the same software
yet a more modern release (think nvi) under native NetBSD? Thou
shalt not replace applications pre-installed in the base set? Come
on...

-Martin