Re: Seven general questions: packages, ConTeXt, flash etc

On Sat, Aug 15, 2009 at 3:45 PM, Pau<vim.unix%googlemail.com@localhost> wrote:
> Dear Steve,
>
> thanks for your quick answer.
>

>> By default, they are not stored, they are simply installed.  If you do
>> a 'make package', the binary package will be created and stored
>> in /usr/pkgsrc/packages.  Alternatively, install and use pkg_tarup.
>>
>> I've put
>>
>>        DEPENDS_TARGET=package clean
>>
>> into /etc/mk.conf, so that dependencies are handled properly, too.
>
> That's an interesting point. Thanks.
>
> So, does this mean that if I have spent... one day or so building
> openoffice from scratch, I have lost the installable file and I have
> to restart to create it with pkg_create?
>
> By the way, I don't have a pkg_tarup in this system

I think it's in pkgsrc.

> andromina# uname -sr
> NetBSD 5.0.1
>
>> On a multiuser machine, should any user be allowed to suspend it?
>> Sleep state applies to more than laptops...
>>
>> On a laptop, that is indeed a nuisance, or would be if I ever suspended
>> my machine by means other than closing the lid or hitting the magic
>> keys the BIOS interprets as a suspend request.
>
> Quite. Agree.
>
> But now that we are at it, how to set up the system to suspend the
> machine by closing the lid?
>
> The default action is to switch off the lightening (I hope you are
> benevolent towards my abhorrent English).
>
> I have done my homework: read man apm and sysctl but I didn't find it.
>
> Also: I am particularly interested in this problem
>
> This machine is a fujitsu siemens amilo.
>
> I believe that power is not being controlled with acpi, but with apm.
> But I cannot tell for sure.

/etc/powerd/scripts/ is where you will find the actions taken by
various power events.
I also have the following in /etc/rc.conf:
apmd=YES
powerd=YES
envsys=YES

Look at the sleep_button for ways to sleep the whole computer and
install vbetool from pkgsrc for powering off the screen.  (xset dpms
suspend can also do it if you're in X; double-check the necessary
options)

> With OpenBSD (from 3.8 and until now on -current), when I typed zzz
> the laptop would suspend, then resume when I hit the power buttom and
> then, later, after some 3 minutes it would switch off abruptly. I am
> confident about this "feature".
>
> Why is netbsd suspending and resuming it properly?  is it apm or acpi?
> If it's apm, why don't I have the "feature" of sudden power off?

dmesg | grep -i acpi

>>> 3) How do you set up audio for skype?
>>> =======================
>>
>> I regard skype as evil, so I've never tried it...
>
> me too. I hate, hate skype. "But" some 12 people I have to be in
> contact with will not quit using it. I have talked to them, begged for
> using normal phones, I have stopped using it for about a year with the
> only effect that I was left out of important things because I was not
> "reachable"
>
> This has led me to having two OS's on my laptop: The important one,
> where I do all my work etc -- OpenBSD and a ~ 4G partition with some
> linux "distribution" on it for the only reason of skype.
>
> I was hopping that netbsd would solve that problem, since
> (fortunately?) OpenBSD does not support in any way skype
>
> Steve, I have seen in your web page that you have a VoIP address. Do
> you have it running on netbsd? What are you using? How? Too many
> questions, probably.
>

>>> 4) Why are dependencies not automatically done in pkgrsc?
>>> ====================================
>>>
>>> I am trying to build tex and
>>>
>>> => Full dependency tex-marvosym-[0-9]*: NOT found
>>> => Verifying reinstall for ../../fonts/tex-marvosym
>>> ERROR: [depends.mk] A package matching ``tex-marvosym-[0-9]*'' should
>>> ERROR:     be installed, but one cannot be found.  Perhaps there is a
>>> ERROR:     stale work directory for ../../fonts/tex-marvosym?
>>> *** Error code 1
>>>
>>> Stop.
>>> make: stopped in /usr/pkgsrc/print/teTeX3-texmf
>>> *** Error code 1
>>>
>>> Stop.
>>> make: stopped in /usr/pkgsrc/print/teTeX3-bin
>>> *** Error code 1
>>>
>>> Stop.
>>> make: stopped in /usr/pkgsrc/graphics/dvipng
>>> *** Error code 1
>>>
>>> Stop.
>>> make: stopped in /usr/pkgsrc/print/teTeX
>>>
>>> This means that I have to go into /usr/pkgsrc/fonts/tex-marvosym and
>>> make there
>>
>> They're supposed to be handled automatically.  It could be a bug, or it
>> could be a stale work directory, or it could result from version skew,
>> either in your pkgsrc tree (never update just part of it) or in what
>> you currently have installed.  In general, tex installs just fine; I've
>> relied on it for many, many years.

Do a make clean from the top of /usr/pkgsrc (or wherever you put
pkgsrc) to clean up all of your old work directories.