Re: Seven general questions: packages, ConTeXt, flash etc

On Sat, 15 Aug 2009 19:13:57 +0200
Pau <vim.unix%googlemail.com@localhost> wrote:

> 1) where are built packages stored?
> =====================

By default, they are not stored, they are simply installed.  If you do
a 'make package', the binary package will be created and stored
in /usr/pkgsrc/packages.  Alternatively, install and use pkg_tarup.

I've put

        DEPENDS_TARGET=package clean

into /etc/mk.conf, so that dependencies are handled properly, too.

> After a make whatever in /usr/pkgsrc, I cannot find the installable
> package
>

> 2) Why is zzz not executable by a normal user and only by root?
> ======================================
>
> Is there a reason for that? It is executable in OpenBSD

On a multiuser machine, should any user be allowed to suspend it?
Sleep state applies to more than laptops...

On a laptop, that is indeed a nuisance, or would be if I ever suspended
my machine by means other than closing the lid or hitting the magic
keys the BIOS interprets as a suspend request.

> 3) How do you set up audio for skype?
> =======================

I regard skype as evil, so I've never tried it...

> 4) Why are dependencies not automatically done in pkgrsc?
> ====================================
>
> I am trying to build tex and
>
> => Full dependency tex-marvosym-[0-9]*: NOT found
> => Verifying reinstall for ../../fonts/tex-marvosym
> ERROR: [depends.mk] A package matching ``tex-marvosym-[0-9]*'' should
> ERROR:     be installed, but one cannot be found.  Perhaps there is a
> ERROR:     stale work directory for ../../fonts/tex-marvosym?
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop.
> make: stopped in /usr/pkgsrc/print/teTeX3-texmf
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop.
> make: stopped in /usr/pkgsrc/print/teTeX3-bin
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop.
> make: stopped in /usr/pkgsrc/graphics/dvipng
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop.
> make: stopped in /usr/pkgsrc/print/teTeX
>
> This means that I have to go into /usr/pkgsrc/fonts/tex-marvosym and
> make there

They're supposed to be handled automatically.  It could be a bug, or it
could be a stale work directory, or it could result from version skew,
either in your pkgsrc tree (never update just part of it) or in what
you currently have installed.  In general, tex installs just fine; I've
relied on it for many, many years.