Need to chmod CD device to use from users.

Hello NetBSD people,

Yesterday, I wanted to extract a musical CD with cdparanoia, the
device used was /dev/rcd1d with -crw-r----- root operator, so because
the operator group can `read' the device, I added my user to this
group but no changes, cdparanoia still says `permission denied'.

I stumbled across the Chapter 13 of the Guide which advice to chmod
the device by invoking: chmod go+rw /dev/cd0a, so I did it with all
the /dev/rcd*.

It works but I wanted to know why do we need to chmod the device if
the groupe operator exists ?

Best regards,
David.