mmcformat with DVD+RW

ultra10$ uname -a
NetBSD ultra10 5.0 NetBSD 5.0 (GENERIC) #0: Fri May  1 20:56:53 BST
2009  root@ultra10:/opt/obj.sparc64/sys/arch/sparc64/compile/GENERIC
sparc64

Now that NetBSD-5 has UDF write support, I'm trying it out to keep
backup files. The man page says you need to use mmcformat with new
media before running newfs_udf.

ultra10# mmcformat -F -w /dev/rcd0c
Opening device /dev/rcd0c

Device identifies itself as : ATAPI  busnum = 0, drive = 0

Formatting.... background formatting in progress
Waiting for completion ... 100 % | ETA 00:00:00

The whole process above takes about 10 seconds and then I get my prompt
back. However I can see the DVD drive light flashing and if I eject the
DVD disk and look at the surface, I can see the drive was in the middle
of writing to it. So it looks like the format is being done in the
background, even though I specified -w option to wait for it.

Can anyone confirm that this is a bug and -w option is broken??