Re: RAM disk

On Jul 4,  8:21am, "Nino on NetBSD 4.0" wrote:
}
} Actually, I have no NetBSD in front of me now,
} so I am sorry not to be able to tell you what
} exactly I am doing or what the response was.
}
} What I want is indeed a memory DISK, not just
} a memory FILESYSTEM, so Ignatios' description
} hits exactly what I want.
}
} What I did - I somehow created an md0 with
} mdconfig, but could not mount it - so I assumed
} it needs a filesystem, and thus ran newfs on it.
} But all the time I just got some error message
} along the lines of "device busy". So how do I
} correctly set up a RAM DISK with a filesystem
} on it? Could you kindly show me which sequence
} of commands is necessary? Thank you in advance.

     As mentioned before, mfs and tmpfs are intended for general
purpose RAM disks.  mdconfig is for use with pre-existing disk images.
It's primary purpose is attaching a disk image with installation tools
to an INSTALL kernel.  However, if you want to play with it, see
"makefs" for instructions on how to create a filesystem image in a
file.  Also, look at vnconfig/vnd for use with pre-existing images in
files.  For your purposes, I suspect you would be much better off with
tmpfs though.

}-- End of excerpt from "Nino on NetBSD 4.0"