Re: *PLEASE READ* Re: Two NetBSDs: from Desktop NetBSD needs your help

On Mon, 9 Feb 2009, markucz%gmail.com@localhost wrote:

I guess if those people are technically literate they could just as well
install the gnome metapackage from pkgsrc, right? AFAIK it installs
everything it needs to run, X11 included. They don't even have to compile it,
since there are binary packages (never tried them myself, though, so I'd
appreciate if someone would share his experience with that) and I suppose
desktop.tgz just will contain some mix of those.

        I suspect it will install the meta-pkgs/netbsd-desktop package
        which will include gnome and various other packages, but it
        will also configure the X server so it works correctly and
        starts automatically, basically all the manual steps.
        http://wiki.netbsd.se/Desktop_Phase_1#System_installation

        By the way, thank you for articulating your main concern -
        integrating desktop configuration could impair the base
        system, rather than just waving your hands and saying "Bad,
        Baaaad!"

It's this part which scares me most - there're horrible examples how flashy
GUI config tools can screw an otherwise decent OS. The first which comes to
mind is SuSE's yast.

        Its also the area that concerns me. I assume you'll be watching
        Phase 2 with interest to ensure your concerns are met?

There's another thing, too. I don't quite like the phrase "Given a NetBSD CD
and a reasonably modern x86 computer...". What about those who use something
different than x86?

        Then you will only benefit from some of the changes. If
        you are using a machine which not powerful enough to handle
        the gnome desktop (even a low end x86), then you would need
        to select a different desktop environment. Its quite likely
        the netbsd-desktop install option will only be available
        on i386 and amd64 initially, but quite a lot of the
        infrastructure changes will benefit anyone who chooses to
        install the relevant packages, no matter what arch.