Re: how to use amd?

At 22:29 Uhr -0600 18.12.2008, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:
On Mon, 6 Oct 2008, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:
 (My real goal is to be able to enter my memory card and have it
 automatically mounted and maybe even have a X11 filemanager open to that
 directory.)

And plugin in jumpdrive/flash disk or CD or DVD ... and do the right
thing.

Does anyone in NetBSD world do this?

I have deployed an amd(8) based scheme like yours, and as long as procedures are followed properly, it works. Still, while you can do things like that with amd(8), it's a fragile construction, and an accidental eject(1) can break things until the next reboot.

Apart from amd's weakness with removable storage devices - are you sure the freezes you see are not actually USB problems?

HAL is supposed to provide a connection between the kernel's knowledge of plug-{in,out} events and interested parties in userland, like a desktop manager. Apparently, NetBSD is finally catching up there.

        hauke

()     No HTML/RTF in email            Institut für Nachrichtentechnik
     Respect for open standards              Ruf +49-6151-16-3281