Re: OT: Does majordomo have a vacation-mode?

Christian Baer wrote:
> Greetings programs!
>
> Is there a way to tell majordomo to stop sending me the mailing-list
> without actually unsubscribing from the list?

(OK, I'm using FreeBSD not NetBSD, but I don't think that matters here]

majordomo-2 does support a vacation mode
        as read in one of the info or AFQ files just last week,
        for the mail list for majordomo support
                majordomo-users%greatcircle.com@localhost
                http://greatcircle.com/majordomo/
majordomo-1 does not
        as in use,  eg on my server that also supports
        Munich BSD user group majordomo%berklix.org@localhost

Weirdly, I cant seem to send anyting at all to
        majordomo-users%greatcircle.com@localhost,
so I can't report & discuss & "failure to discuss looping" bug with my
        majordomo%berklix.org@localhost
(& its not my spam eater killing returns as my posts dont show in
their web archive either).

What with that failure + also majordomo-2 docs seem hard to read,
(even for me, an old Unix hack, one of the last of the ex rear guard
"command line OK, good enough for me, none of this mouse & HTML
mail brigade")

So majordomo is on my list of things to migrate away from.
I know the total tech loosers on my beer
gardeners list who also try & fail to use even
        majordomo%berklix.org@localhost
will not stand an earthly chance with majordomo-2 as many already not
competent to use majordomo-1,

I'm not particularly impressed with the web support for 'domo either
at great circle (probably that's 'majorcool' but I haven't checked,
& maybe I might be more impressed if I tried harder), but ...

When I find time I'll be migrating my own majordomo%berklix.org@localhost
away from majordomo.

freebsd.org uses mailman,
mailman seems nice from my user perspective,
so I hope it will be from an admin perspective when I migrate
@berklix.org to it.

mailman suppoprts vacation mode

freebsd.org throws up security warnings for mailman

I have long identified a vicious default old server thrashing value
in mailman

http://www.berklix.com/~jhs/src/bsd/fixes/FreeBSD/ports/gen/mail/mailman/files/send-pr.ignore
& that didnt encourage me to move from majordomo to mailman, but
move I must.

> Background:
> I read most mailing-lists (including the NetBSD ones) via gmane. I have
> found that to be very comfortable, as I dump everything into a local inn
> which makes managing the amount of entries I keep much easier. Messages
> I write are sent out via eMail using the moderators-settings.
>
> When the mailing-list is set up with mailman, I can just set my
> subscription to "vacation" which stops me from getting any list entries
> via eMail but still allows me to post to the list.
>
> Is there a way to do this (or something alike) with the NetBSD mailing-
> lists?
>
> Regards,
> Chris

Julian
--
Julian Stacey: BSDUnixLinux C Prog Admin SysEng Consult Munich www.berklix.com
        Mail just Ascii plain text.  HTML & Base64 text are spam.