Re: nvidia experiences

Hello Jesse!

On Tue, May 27, 2008 at 03:04:33PM -0800, Jesse Lehman wrote:
> Despite all my struggles to use other operating systems, I keep coming
> back to NetBSD.  It's so clean and simple.  I've decided that NetBSD
> is still worth using even without full NVIDIA support.  I have a
> pretty standard NVIDIA graphics card.  By now, I've realized that
> proprietary graphics accelleration with an NVIDIA card is simply not
> possible in NetBSD.  Fortunately, I don't use many graphics intensive
> applications.  So, I want to hear from anyone who uses the open source
> nv driver.  Here are a couple questions:
Good!
I used a nv card some months ago on my NetBSD 4.0 desktop (it was
a``GeForce2 MX-200 32MB+TV''). However, ATM I have an ATI video card on
this box.

> * Can I stick with the Xfree86 included on the NetBSD install disk, or
> should I use Xorg?
I used x11/modular-xorg-server and x11/xf86-video-nv but it should work
with XFree86 too.

> * Can you still watch Flash videos / play Flash games or listen to
> mp3s with no lag?
Of course! For example you can watch flash videos with
multimedia/mplayer without any problem. With the GeForce2 I used the xv
video output (mplayer -vo xv) and it was pretty fast.

> This didn't seem like a support request to me, so I sent it here.
> I'll be grateful for any tips my fellow NetBSD users can provide.
HTH and good luck Jesse! :-)

PS: Probably you can enjoy the vesafb(4) SPLASHBOOT too (works great
with the GeForce2). ;-)

Ciao, Leonardo
--
 Leonardo Taccari (leot) | http://leot.netsons.org/