Re: HEADS-UP: UDF write support

Reinoud Zandijk wrote:

You can't believe the private little party that went on at my place when I read this! I could really kiss you for this but it's probably better to restrain myself just that little bit. :-)

as you might have read on the source-changes list, i've committed write support for NetBSDs UDF file system. It can now read and *write* files and directories on CD-R, CD-RW, CD-MRW, DVD-R, DVD+R, DVD-RW, DVD+RW, DVD+MRW, (USB) flash media and harddisc partitions. Media like Iomega Rev should also work fine since they attach to the cd(4) device.

I have to admit, that I don't follow the source changes that much (only when I actually have a lot of time to spare), so I am not all that informed about all the details.

I did notice that DVD-RAM is missing in the above list. Since DVD-RAM is an optical media but can be accessed like a hard drive, I'm guessing that it is supported too - hopefully not only as Mount Rainier or something evil like it.

For recordable media and non optical media a newfs_udf(8) is enough. See the manpage for the various options. Note that the UDF version specifying is still a bit odd, it needs to be done in hex.

The manpage isn't online yet, so I have to ask: Does newfs_udf also offer a *physical* format like the Windows-tool does (formatting a DVD-RAM 3x takes about 42 minutes). I'm asking because after you've messed around on a DVD-RAM for a while the write speeds really go down (I've had write speeds that were somewhere around 0,5x). If you format the disc physically the speed goes back to normal.

For all other media (i.e. NOT optical media), one has the choice to completely use the disc by using the complete device extent or to use a partition scheme. newfs_udf(8) will use the complete partition specified.

In that case it should be possible to put cgd(4) between the disc and the newfs or am I wrong about that?

Current limitations are that disc accounting is not done correctly yet so be carefull not to run out of space on disc and that writing to metadata partitions is not implemented yet. Also fsck_udf(8) is not yet finished, but will be added later.

What will happen if I run out of space? Will that corrupt the file system on the disc?

Regards
Chris