Re: Using swap though there's plenty of mem free

On Tue, May 06, 2008 at 05:15:55PM +0200, Jonathan Schleifer wrote:
> what happens if the memory is full. I thought processes are killed then
> or fork() fails, didn't know that a swapfile is used then. If it's
> really that way, I'll just disable swap.

  Clarification: I meant that the third-party utility "swapd"--
available via NetBSD's pkgsrc system--sounds like it provides the
dynamic swap file creation functionality.

  A stock NetBSD installation (without the utility), however, will,
as you said, run into trouble when memory fills up and no swap
space is configured.

  I don't know if swapd can add devices rather than files (but I'd
be interested in the answer if you find it).

Cheers,  --Dave