Re: About GCC optimizations

Joel CARNAT <joel%carnat.net@localhost> schrieb:
> The thing is I bought this little box to build a multimedia box.
> It seems to be designed too (according specs reviews and people running XP
> or Linux multimedia based things on it).
> So I'm just trying to do the same with NetBSD - because I believe NetBSD
> can do it too.

I'm afraid you'll be disappointed. As you noted somewhere else,
while these Via-boards are indeed designed as multimedia appliances,
you need proper driver support, which doesn't exist for NetBSD.
You might want to try the OpenChrome driver for accelerated video
(MPEG2 only, though), I've heard it can work somehow under NetBSD
as well. Otherwise, there's a Via-supplied Linux driver which may
give you good results under Linux. If that doesn't, either, you'll
probably have to stick with Windows or get something with more
processing power. Intel's upcoming "Silverthorne" chipsets look
quite promising WRT processing power and power consumption.

HTH,

Dennis den Brok