Re: Problems with uplcom/ucom

Ulrich Habel <rhaen%NetBSD.org@localhost> wrote:

> I made some tests with the dtyU0 device to see if it works. Here are the
> results:

I'll send Ulrich some diffs for gpsbabel; I lack the hardware to
troubleshoot this at lower level detail (the USB-serial converter I have
is built into a Garmin specific GPS cable) but I've seen problems on
both NetBSD and OS/X so I don't rush to conclude that there's any driver
problem in NetBSD.

> wiesel# ktrace gpsbabel -i garmin -w -f /dev/dtyU0 -o gpx -F myfile.gpx
> [ERROR] GPS_Packet_Read: Timeout.  No data received.
> GARMIN:Can't init /dev/dtyU0

I've seen that error too, although it's not what I expected if the
kdump output is from that session.

Greg Troxel <gdt%ir.bbn.com@localhost> wrote:

>   I made some tests with the dtyU0 device to see if it works. Here are the
>   results:
>
>   wiesel# ktrace gpsbabel -i garmin -w -f /dev/dtyU0 -o gpx -F myfile.gpx
>   [ERROR] GPS_Packet_Read: Timeout.  No data received.
>   GARMIN:Can't init /dev/dtyU0
>
> Glancing at this quickly, I can't see where the program tries to read
> more or do a select.  So it claiming timeout seems odd.

gpsbabel is prone to failing through one or two single error paths with
misleading error messages IMHO.  But while I've worked on it a bit and
made it work for me, I haven't tried to properly understand its
structure, or do more than glance at the Garmin protocol definition.

Regards,

Giles