Re: Which file-system is good for power down?

On Thu, 27 Dec 2007 23:58:11 +0800 Water NB wrote:

> Once power down occurs, the NetBSD server will check file system at next
> startup, it will take as long as 10 minutes.

That seems a really long time to me. I have a few encrypted drives that
have ~1.36TB together. I run a fsck every time I mount these and although
that runs sequentially (one drive at a time) it only takes half as long.
I'll time it next time to make sure.

> I have done a test on Linux (ext3), it take only 10 seconds to recover.
> So, I think ffs v1 is not suitable for my environment.

ext3 is only fast because it has journaling functions. That make a
recovery like this fast, however, the soft updates used in xBSD IMHO do a
better job at avoiding data loss after a crash. Linux is often optimised
at being fast at the cost of security (safety), which ext2 proved very
well.

Adding my 2 cents:
If you really have a black-out every 2 weeks, the 10 minutes it takes to
make sure all you data is still in working order, are the least of your
problems. :-)

Regards,
Chris