Re: Some words are lost in tcpdump manual

On Sun, 16 Feb 2020 at 22:33:06 +0800, Nan Xiao(肖楠) wrote:
> When I read tcpdump manual, I came across following words:

> On platforms that support the SIGINFO signal, such as most BSDs
> (including Mac OS X) and Digital/Tru64 UNIX, it will report those
> counts when it receives a SIGINFO signal (generated, for example, by
> typing your ``status'' character, typically control-T)
>
> SIGUSR1 signal.  and will continue capturing packets.
>
> I checked the source code
> (
> https://github.com/NetBSD/src/blob/25b3f7cb8882ff71b5b35efb222795ba571e9622/external/bsd/tcpdump/dist/tcpdump.1.in#L206
> ),
> and found some words are lost.
>
> Could you help to check it? Thanks very much in advance!

Hi,

This happened because there were some phrases commented out that don't
apply to NetBSD. After some iterations of merges, an extra line "SIGUSR1
signal" that should also have been commented out was left in. It should
end with "typically control-T) and will continue capturing packets."
I've edited the file on CVS HEAD to change the phrase. (And uwe@ has
fixed the formatting problem that was adding the unnecessary empty
lines in between.)

Regards,

Dave