NetBSD-Advocacy archive

Re: NetBSD at Southern California Linux Expo 7x...

On Fri, Feb 27, 2009 at 12:18:09PM -0500, George Rosamond wrote:
> David Maxwell wrote:
>> On Fri, Feb 27, 2009 at 10:20:13AM -0500, Jason Dixon wrote:
>>> I'm glad to hear you enjoyed so much success at SCaLE.  However, I'm
>>> personally a bit disappointed to hear that NetBSD put forth so much
>>> effort into representation at a Linux conference, while having zero
>>> presence at DCBSDCon 2009, a BSD conference aimed at celebrating BSD
>>> software, developers and the community.
>>>
>>> If there's anything we, as organizers, can do to make ourselves more
>>> engaging to the NetBSD speakers and developers, please let us know.  I
>>> personally sent numerous emails to this list and to team members trying
>>> to get some participation.  My pleas were met with silence.
>>
>> I think there's really just one simple answer - 'NetBSD' didn't put
>> forth effort into representation at SCALE - individuals did.
>
> Kind of semantics, DM. . .

Hi George,

Semantics perhaps, but hopefully clarification via semantics, rather
than avoidance via semantics.

As volunteers on a project, each individual has their own motivations
for participation, whether by coding, documenting, packaging, speaking,
helping users on lists or irc...

The Board (which I'm not on, and so don't speak for (can't miss the
opportunity for an in-joke there)) can encourage such activities, but it
can't demand them from people who are volunteers.

Has it done everything that it could on the 'encourage' side? I couldn't
say. I bet it would be open to suggestions though.

>> Likewise, 'NetBSD' didn't fail to represent at DCBSDCon, but individuals
>> didn't come forward to do so.
>
> NBSD has had a centralized organized board for how long now?
>
> Just speaking from the NYCBSDCon experience, it's like pulling teeth to
> get CFPs, table people, etc.

Whether or not the board has been trying to do this - what would make
it any less tooth-pullingly-difficult for them to drag volunteers out?

Having a Board doesn't mean they've been focused on increasing presence
at conferences.

However, since I'm one of the people who has done more conferences than
many NetBSDers (I recall 10 shows of booth-duty offhand) the question
is probably better targetted to the less active folk.

Distance, time, and money are probably three large barriers for
individuals. Some may feel concerned about their ability to answer
questions, or depth of knowledge. I'm not sure what other factors might
apply.

>> Historically, NetBSD participation in shows (from the ones I've seen)
>> has largely been dependent on getting free booth space from the event
>> organizers, and having local volunteers who could spare the time to
>> participate and equipment to put on the desk. In the case of SCALE, I
>> happened to be going to the conference to present for my day job with
>> Coverity, but there was no Coverity booth on the show floor which
>> required my time, so I was free to man the NetBSD booth. Kevin and John
>> are locals.
>
> DM. . . I even spend time stalking the DBA crew each year on this. . .
> and hit a good number of the NBSD devs in NYC each year. . .
>
> And of course, we provide a free table.

Sure - that wasn't a jibe, just pointing out that some conferences do
eliminate themselves from consideration. For example, even when the
booth is free, some conferences want fees for network, power, a table,
tablecloth, and unionized cartage of equipment on and off the show
floor.

Sounds like the NYC developers aren't lacking in locality - so that
leaves time. :-(

>> That said - perhaps the project can assemble a list of speakers and
>> representatives to reach out to about upcoming events, and see if
>> there's a way to develop a greater presence. I'll ask some of the people
>> I know from other BSDs how they've managed to get the turnouts they do.
>
> Please do David. . .  I'm glad Jason brought this up. . . it's very
> frustrating.

I'll talk to the Board about it - but please, feel free to suggest
anything you think might help (e.g. Jason's 'let us help you')

--
David Maxwell, david%vex.net@localhost|david%maxwell.net@localhost -->
(About an Amiga rendering landscapes) It's not thinking, it's being artistic!