NetBSD-Advocacy archive

NetBSD at Southern California Linux Expo 7x...

[Sending again;  I suspect it got bounced due to multiple recipients.]

Well, we successfully flew the NetBSD flag at yet another Southern
California Linux Expo -- for the fifth year in a row.  Big thanks to
the SCALE organizers, especially Gareth Greenaway, who went out of
their way to make us feel welcome, and to David Maxwell and John
Hickey, who came out yet again to staff the booth.

David was there bright and early both days, staffing the booth even
before I managed to get there, and toughed it out to the end!  John
showed up Sunday with lunch and an Ultra 60;  he proceeded to install
NetBSD on his mini netbook under VirtualPC and then used that to
netboot the Sparc and install it during the show.

We (well, I, at least) had a great time talking to all of the crazy
hackers in Southern California;  an amazing number of folks came by
the booth to talk about the little SGI Indy on the table.  I had no
idea so many people were still running Irix!  Hopefully we converted
a few to NetBSD.

This is a relatively big event, and it feels good to know that NetBSD
has a booth there along with FreeBSD and OpenBSD.  I'd encourage other
folks to think about spending a weekend in LA next year!

Kevin
kml%patheticgeek.net@localhost