NetBSD-Advocacy archive

Re: NetBSD at Southern California Linux Expo 7x...

On Fri, Feb 27, 2009 at 10:20:13AM -0500, Jason Dixon wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 26, 2009 at 05:01:45PM -0800, Kevin Lahey wrote:
> >
> > Well, we successfully flew the NetBSD flag at yet another Southern
> > California Linux Expo -- for the fifth year in a row.  Big thanks to
>
> I'm glad to hear you enjoyed so much success at SCaLE.  However, I'm
> personally a bit disappointed to hear that NetBSD put forth so much
> effort into representation at a Linux conference, while having zero
> presence at DCBSDCon 2009, a BSD conference aimed at celebrating BSD
> software, developers and the community.
>
> Please understand I'm not trying to rest all of this on your shoulders.
> I just think this is a good opportunity to address the lack of
> participation by the NetBSD project at some of our own conferences (from
> my experience, particularly at NYCBSDCon and DCBSDCon).  I know that
> NetBSD has a strong U.S. East-coast footprint, so I'm confused as to how
> these events can be overlooked.
>
> If there's anything we, as organizers, can do to make ourselves more
> engaging to the NetBSD speakers and developers, please let us know.  I
> personally sent numerous emails to this list and to team members trying
> to get some participation.  My pleas were met with silence.

I think there's really just one simple answer - 'NetBSD' didn't put
forth effort into representation at SCALE - individuals did.

Likewise, 'NetBSD' didn't fail to represent at DCBSDCon, but individuals
didn't come forward to do so.

Historically, NetBSD participation in shows (from the ones I've seen)
has largely been dependent on getting free booth space from the event
organizers, and having local volunteers who could spare the time to
participate and equipment to put on the desk. In the case of SCALE, I
happened to be going to the conference to present for my day job with
Coverity, but there was no Coverity booth on the show floor which
required my time, so I was free to man the NetBSD booth. Kevin and John
are locals.

That said - perhaps the project can assemble a list of speakers and
representatives to reach out to about upcoming events, and see if
there's a way to develop a greater presence. I'll ask some of the people
I know from other BSDs how they've managed to get the turnouts they do.

--
David Maxwell, david%vex.net@localhost|david%maxwell.net@localhost -->
Any sufficiently advanced Common Sense will seem like magic...