Re: 10_BETA: Nice QOL improvements to the installer

Salil Wadnerkar <bsdprg%disroot.org@localhost> writes:

> Mayuresh wrote:
>> On Wed, Dec 21, 2022 at 09:25:30AM +1300, Lloyd Parkes wrote:
>>> I was installing on amd64 and the installer let me choose either MBR or GPT,
>> I notice a separate image marked "bios"
>>
>>      NetBSD-10.0_BETA-amd64-bios-install.img.gz
>>      NetBSD-10.0_BETA-amd64-install.img.gz
>>
>> So wonder, which installer you tried that gave you these two options. I
>> got an impression that these two are just different installers - 1 UEFI
>> and 1 BIOS.
> UEFI installer is a hybrid installer - works for both UEFI and BIOS:
> http://blog.netbsd.org/tnf/entry/netbsd_10_0_beta_available

Someone who actually knows should comment, but I would expect that both
installers can do the same things once booted.   I would expect that the
one with bios in the name has an MBR partition and MBR boot in the img,
to be bootable on machines that support that, and that the other is GPT
with EFI boot, to be bootable on machines that support that.  I would
expect most machines to be able to boot either, except for old machines
are mbr only and maybe some new ones are EFI only.   And on some
machines, it wouldn't surprise me if some are buggier with one method or
the other.